Awake Stands Out as the Only Security Company to Win Comparably Best Culture & Best for Diversity Awards
Our team at Awake Security is thrilled to add two new “best places to work” recognitions this year alongside our Inc. Magazine and San Francisco Business Times honors. This time, we are humbled to be the only security company to win the Best Company Culture and Best Company for Diversity awards in the Comparably program, as determined by our own employees. Winners were based on ratings from employees who were asked to answer a series of workplace questions in nearly 20 core culture categories. Our team gave Awake an A+ culture score, and think very highly of our CEO Rahul Kashyap, ranking him in the top 5% of companies in the U.S. (with the same number of employees) and in the top 5% of other companies in San Francisco.
Being the lone security company to win these awards is truly an honor as corporate culture can either make or break companies in today’s crowded security marketplace. In her Forbes roundup of the companies that made Comparably’s Best Company Culture ranking this quarter, Rachel Montanez says that “shareholders were no longer the central purpose of today’s companies. Employees are now the focus, which means corporate culture is too… Fancy perks and a pretty office alone do not build culture and cause employees to do their best work. Culture needs to go beyond the superficial.”
This speaks to the heart of our mission at Awake – our team operates with three core principles that empower our employees to solve critical customer problems. Those principles are:
- Belief: Employees believe in the company’s mission which focuses on making customers successful in their mission. They believe the solution Awake delivers to the market is integral to that and they clearly see their own role in delivering the solution.
- Persistence: Awake recognizes that this is not an easy journey. Given we operate in the security space, persistence in fighting off skilled and determined attackers is even more important.
- Being Unreasonable: From our founding, Awake has challenged the accepted solutions and in doing so has taken an approach that others might consider unreasonable or impossible. Our team believes this approach is how the balance of power returns to the defenders from the attackers.
Additionally, we believe that culture is built through diversity of opinions and the quality of daily interactions in the workplace. Our employees are empowered to work side by side with some of the world’s best minds in security, but they also play an integral role in breaking new ground in machine learning, data science, security, user experience, and network engineering. Our team members’ diverse backgrounds, opinions and skill sets are truly what enables us to help our customers solve their most difficult security challenges – after all, an individual’s personal experience and knowledgebase can offer new ways to upgrade or make a solution better to help organizations secure against different attacks.
So, what does it take to build a company culture, inclusive of diverse backgrounds, that employees are truly proud of? Let some of our own team members answer that question for you:
The Interview Process
- “The interviewees were very respectful. They were also very transparent about the company prospects.”
- “Very straight forward, fair technical questions, good range of non-technical questions.”
- “Made me feel comfortable and allowed me to determine this was a fit for me, too.”
The Leadership Team
- Leadership is very respectful and transparent to all the staff members.
- Wise, transparent, mentoring and caring.
- Focused, energetic, non-micromanagers, trusting but high-expectations, and experienced.
What Makes Them Happy at Work
- “It always feels like you are among friends who have teamed up for a common cause.”
- “Finding and solving issues, knowing that my work is very crucial to the company’s success.”
- “My coworkers make me happy at work, along with the satisfaction I get from helping customers keep their networks safe.”
- “My experience at the company has been nothing short of fantastic. My work is very fulfilling. My co-workers are the most supportive and helpful out of any company I have worked for. I have learned more here than all other roles combined due to my excellent co-workers.”
- “Awake is a fantastic, fast paced, high growth environment with brilliant and dedicated staff. Our leadership is open with a great vision for our future. We have lots of opportunities to interact cross departments and have fun together.”
- “The different backgrounds of our team members create a very diverse and thought-provoking environment where everyone’s opinions are highly valued.”
Our team is made up of truly inspirational people who are also among the best and brightest in our field. Not only are they committed to pushing out innovative ideas and solutions to help our customers, but they genuinely love coming to work every day to solve these challenges together. Because of this dedicated team, our award-winning Awake Security Platform continues to attract attention across the industry – our platform is ranked #1 by EMA for time to value and was recognized as the #1 information security solution being evaluated by global 1000 companies in Enterprise Technology Research’s (ETR) Summer 2019 Emerging Technology Study. Awake was also recognized by Business Insider as one of the most promising cybersecurity companies in 2019, named in Gartner’s first market guide for network traffic analysis, made Cybersecurity Ventures’ first-ever Hot 150 list of pure-play cybersecurity companies, and landed on Jeff Vance’s Big50-2019 Startup Report (the report can be accessed by subscribing to Jeff’s newsletter).
It’s an exciting time to work at Awake Security. Check out our careers page if you’d like to be part of a team that is not only a best place to work in the security industry, but also committed to helping organizations stay ahead of today’s complex cyber threats.
Dig Deeper with These Resources
Awake Security 2 Minute Explainer Video
What if security could think? What if it could sense danger, calculate risk, and react quickly based…
The Internet’s New Arms Dealers: Malicious Domain Registrars
This report dives into the results of a multi-month investigation that uncovered a massive global surveillance campaign…